Police in the northern Nigerian state of Kano said Wasilu Umar admitted putting rat poison in her husband’s food, BBC reports. Three of her husband’s friends who ate the same food were also killed, and 10 were hospitalized. She is likely to be put on trial in a juvenile court.
Police Superintendent Musa Magaji Majia said that the marriage between Umar and 35-year-old Umaru Sani had taken place the previous week. The poisoning happend during a celebratory gathering in his village 60 miles north of the city of Kano.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving