On Monday, the Queen released a statement in which she gave Harry and Meghan her blessing to scale back their royal role.
In the wake of the Queen convening a meeting of all four royal households (those of her own; Prince Charles, Prince of Wales; Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry) to come up with a “workable” future role for Harry and Meghan, Her Royal Majesty announced on Jan. 13 that there will be “a period of transition” in which the Sussexes split time between Canada and the U.K.
In her statement, the Queen also said that the royal family is “entirely supportive” of Harry and Meghan’s choice and that she has asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.
“Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as family while remaining a valued part of my family,” she said.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears