When Brad Pitt took the stage at the 2020 Golden Globes to collect his award for Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama, for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, naturally he used the opportunity to troll his co-star, Leonardo DiCaprio.
“He’s an all star, he’s a gent, and I wouldn’t be here without you, man. I thank you,” Pitt said on stage, referring to DiCaprio as “LDC”. After thanking his co-star, Pitt couldn’t help but dole out one of the greatest possible yet also totally trolling compliments to DiCaprio. “I would’ve shared the raft,” Pitt said, referring to the film Titanic and one of the greatest debates in the history of film.
It has been more than two decades since James Cameron’s Titanic hit theaters, enthralling audiences with a love story between DiCaprio’s Jack and Kate Winslet’s Rose set on the doomed voyage. Over 20 years on, though, audiences are still debating whether or not there was room for Jack on the door that Rose was using to stay afloat in the icy waters. Spoiler alert, but as anyone who has seen Titanic knows, in the scene Jack makes sure that Rose is safely floating on the door, before slipping into the frigid ocean to his death. Years later, people are still arguing about whether or not there was room for Jack on that door. Clearly, Pitt believes that if Rose had loved Jack as much as he loves DiCaprio, she would have scooted over and the two would have lived happily ever after.
The internet and all of its Titanic truthers loved the joke:
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief