A woman was killed Tuesday morning after a piece of a building struck her near Times Square in New York City, officials say.
The incident occurred around 10:45 a.m. at 7th Avenue and West 49th Street, according to the New York City Fire Department.
A 60-year-old woman was found unconscious and unresponsive, with trauma to the head, on the sidewalk, a spokesperson for the New York City Police Department also confirmed to TIME. The woman, whose name is currently being withheld, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police did not immediately have information on where exactly the building debris came from. CBS2 reports a building facade gave way on West 49th Street. An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer