In a statement released Thursday, the FCC announced that it had reached settlements with several companies, including ABC and AMC, that total $600,000 in civil penalties. ABC will have to pay $395,000 for an episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live! that used the Wireless Emergency Alert tone three times in a sketch mocking the presidential alert system. AMC will pay $104,000 for a February episode of The Walking Dead that broadcast an Emergency Alert System tone twice
In a public notice that was also released on Thursday, the FCC expressed concern that the use of the tones “for nonauthorized purposes—such as commercial or entertainment purposes—can confuse people or lead to ‘alert fatigue,’ whereby the public becomes desensitized to the alerts, leading people to ignore potentially life-saving warnings and information.”
Animal Planet’s Lone Star Law and Meruelo Radio Holdings were also fined for similar violations.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time