Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex and friend to tennis pro Serena Williams, made a surprise appearance at day four of Wimbledon to watch Williams play in her second round match.
This is Markle’s second time at Wimbledon as a royal; she attended last summer as well with Kate Middleton. Middleton attended this year’s Wimbledon on Tuesday, watching British player Harriet Dart defeat the U.S.’s Christina McHale.
Williams, ranked the number 10 tennis player in the world, played against Slovenia’s Kaja Juvan, ranked number 133, on Thursday. Williams won the second round match in the third set, 2-6 6-2 6-4. Markle attended the game with two friends Genevieve Hills and Lindsay Roth.
William’s sister, tennis pro Venus Williams, was defeated Monday by 15-year-old Cori Gauff, who went on to beat Magdaléna Rybáriková on Wednesday.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science