After a “Timothée Chalamet” ventriloquist doll for sale on eBay for the bargain price $122,795 set the internet ablaze this week, the creator wants you to know he stands by his work. He think it’s a beautiful boy doll indeed! His masterpiece is described on eBay thusly:
For reference, here’s the real-deal Chalamet at the Globes:
While the stuff of the Internet’s nightmares collectively, the doll is the handiwork of Chris Alan. It wasn’t supposed to look exactly like the Call Me By Your Name star either. “It’s not a portrait, per se, it’s more of a caricature. It’s meant to be fun,” he explained to New York magazine.
Still, not all the fans of the actor were pleased with this take. In fact, people were more than a little taken aback by the likeness and were quick to share their shock. Their Timothée, this was not.
“People online do not like the hair at all, which drives me crazy,” Alan went on to say, peppering in a challenge. “My response to them is: You’re welcome to do better. Go for it! You think you can do better, you’re welcome to try.”
Offering his critics insight into the process, he told New York that he used a polymer clay called Super Sculpey to bake his vision into existence, and that the hair (which, in particular, endured its fair share of criticism) was supposed to be “longer than it was at the actual Golden Globes.” Alan did not however offer an explanation about the doll’s eyebrows, probably because there is none.
Reached for comment, the doll itself said nothing. But perhaps its mournful eyes say it all?
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now