Donald Trump promised to drain the swamp as president, so it was probably a foregone conclusion that his critics would eventually find a way to use that line against his administration.
But the way it was used against Interior Secretary nominee David Bernhardt amused the internet.
When former fossil fuels lobbyist David Bernhardt was testifying at a confirmation hearing before the Senate Thursday, a spectator who could be seen just over his shoulder on C-SPAN calmly put on a Swamp Thing mask and sat stoically.
It turns out, Greenpeace was behind the stunt, sharing Thursday afternoon that the organization staged the move to urge Senators to oppose Bernhardt’s nomination.
“David Bernhardt heading the Interior Department would be a dream come true for fossil fuel companies, but a nightmare for the American people. If ethical violations alone don’t disqualify him from holding this position, his record of selling out public lands and waters to his industry buddies should,” a statement read.
See some of the best swamp thing tweets below.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate