People are throwing their Vans shoes in the air en masse, thanks to a viral Internet challenge. The challenge began when a Twitter user noticed that her Vans shoes always landed upright when she threw them onto the floor. She shared a video of her discovery, along with a caption that claimed, “it doesn’t matter how you throw your vans they will land facing up.”
The Internet wasted no time in testing out this theory, taking to their own closets to toss up their Vans, with most finding that her hypothesis was true. There’s a good reason why the Vans challenge works, however; since the sneakers started out as a brand for skaters, the heavy soles of the shoe are designed to help weigh feet down on the skateboard and cushion the impact of skating. This heavier sole design might explain why Vans always land top-side up.
See the best of the Vans challenge below.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State