While the 91st Academy Awards were filled with plenty of surprises and memorable moments, one instance looks like it will be relived online over and over again, thanks to the Internet. Jennifer Hudson, who performed “I’ll Fight” from RBG, was seen visibly affirming Lady Gaga during Gaga’s highly emotional Oscars acceptance speech. When the camera panned to Hudson during the speech, viewers at home could see that she was silently mouthing “yes, yes,” as Gaga talked about her journey to winning Best Original Song.
“If you are at home and sitting on your couch watching this right now, all I have to say is this is hard work,” Gaga said. “I have worked hard for a long time, and it is not about winning but it’s about not giving up. If you have a dream, fight for it,” she continued. “There’s a discipline for passion, and it’s not about how many times you get rejected or you fall down or beaten up, it’s about how many times you stand up and are brave.”
As might be expected, the Internet lost no time in making this heartwarming moment of support go viral, with Hudson’s encouragement of Gaga becoming the go-to meme of the 2019 Oscars.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List