Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand was caught sighing and rolling her eyes on camera during President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address. Now she’s trying to fundraise off the moment for her presidential campaign.
Her personal Twitter account posted a gif of the moment, paired with a message that reads: “Agree? Chip in $5 so we can put an end to this.” It’s linked directly to the New York Democrat’s 2020 campaign website.
The post may violate House rules, however. “Broadcast coverage and recordings of House floor proceedings may not be used for any political purpose under House Rule 5, clause 2(c)(1),” according to the House Committee on Ethics.
Gillibrand announced she was forming an exploratory committee to seek the Democratic nomination for President on the Jan. 15 episode of “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert.”
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement