In terrifying footage captured by the dashcam of the driver directly behind the car involved in the incident, a massive road sign suspended over Melbourne’s Tullamarine Freeway can be seen caving in the roof of the vehicle of 53-year-old Nella Lettieri, according to 9NEWS.
Lettieri was reportedly taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with neck injuries and is in stable condition. Transportation officials are currently investigating the cause of the accident and inspecting similar signs for issues.
Major Road Projects Authority delivery director Graeme Chambers told Melbourne radio station 3AW that the wind was not a factor and that the problem appeared to be with the sign’s connection to the overhead gantry support structure.
“It [will be] all subject to detailed and thorough investigation,” Chambers said, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. “It is an extremely rare event. We last night mobilised our engineers as soon as we learnt of the incident.
Watch the video below.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart