President Donald Trump gave his first primetime address from the Oval Office on Tuesday night to pitch his border wall to the American public.
The address came amid a partial government shutdown in its third week – with no clear end in sight.
During his address, Trump called the flow of migrants across the U.S.-Mexico border a crisis and said $5.7 billion was needed to build the wall and fund additional security measures. He called on Democrats to support to wall and end the shutdown.
Democrats, led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, have refused to support funding the wall. They reiterated their opposition to the border in a speech following Trump’s address.
TIME has a fact-check of many of Trump’s assertions about immigration.
Read the full transcript of Trump’s Oval Office address below:
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time