On Saturday, Jan. 5, at the Wiltern in Los Angeles, the annual gala for CORE: Community Organized Relief Effort (previously known as J/P HRO) raised $3.5 million dollars to benefit disaster relief and preparedness work. The event, hosted by Sean Penn and emceed by Jamie Foxx, was co-sponsored by individuals and organizations including TIME.
At the gala, Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz of San Juan, among others, was honored for her relief work in Puerto Rico. Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, was the headlining musical performer. Billie Eilish and Macy Gray also performed.
Other guests included Julia Roberts, Ben Stiller, Connie Britton, Larry David and Jimmy Kimmel.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time