On Saturday, Jan. 5, at the Wiltern in Los Angeles, the annual gala for CORE: Community Organized Relief Effort (previously known as J/P HRO) raised $3.5 million dollars to benefit disaster relief and preparedness work. The event, hosted by Sean Penn and emceed by Jamie Foxx, was co-sponsored by individuals and organizations including TIME.
At the gala, Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz of San Juan, among others, was honored for her relief work in Puerto Rico. Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, was the headlining musical performer. Billie Eilish and Macy Gray also performed.
Other guests included Julia Roberts, Ben Stiller, Connie Britton, Larry David and Jimmy Kimmel.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating