Images posted by local emergency officials depicted a semi-truck and at least one small vehicle in flames. The Gainesville Sun reports the crash involved two tractor-trailer rigs and two passenger vehicles, and took place between Gainesville and Alachua County.
Approximately 50 gallons of fuel were spilled in the collision, though the fire is now out, according to the officials.
Local safety officers used a helicopter to help locate possible missing victims.
The crash took place near mile marker 393, north of Northwest 39th Avenue. Drivers headed in both directions are advised to avoid the area for several hours.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Abby Vesoulis at firstname.lastname@example.org