While reiterating his call for a complete border wall between the U.S. and Mexico during a White House meeting with his Cabinet as the partial government shutdown continued into its 12th day on Wednesday, Trump displayed a poster-sized version of the meme on the table in front of him.
The graphic, which was first used by Trump to announce that he was planning to reimpose sanctions against Iran that had been lifted by the Obama administration, features a photo of the president overlaid with the words, “Sanctions are coming” — a play on Game of Thrones‘ famed “Winter is Coming” tagline.
Some Game of Thrones fans, as well as HBO itself, spoke out against Trump associating himself with the show back in November. However, this time around, people were quick to point out the irony of Trump referencing the series to prove that walls works.
“Walls Work, Trump Says In Front Of Poster Parodying Show Based On Premise That They Don’t,” quipped one Twitter user.
See some other reactions below.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time