The moment that Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty was introduced to the world, he seemed destined to become a meme. When the NHL team unveiled their new official mascot back in September, his unblinking googly eyes and burnt orange mane quickly captured the public’s attention.
“He claims that he’s been around for a lot longer than we know it, and recent construction at the Wells Fargo Center disturbed his secret hideout forcing him to show his face publicly for the first time,” Gritty’s backstory on the Flyers’ website reads. “He has some oddities that are both humorous and strange. A number of times he’s been caught eating snow straight from the Zamboni machine, and unbeknown to most, his love of hot dogs has been inflating the Flyers Dollar Dog Night consumption totals for years.”
But it wasn’t long before Gritty had gone from being considered what one Twitter user described as “an absolute dream haunter” to somewhat of a national hero.
Here’s a look back at the most glorious times that Gritty won the hearts of fans across the country in 2018.
When his furry orange mug was revealed to the public and people were terrified
When he slipped on the ice during his first game
When he turned a t-shirt gun on promoters
When he came in like a “Wrecking Ball”
When he destroyed the penalty box
When he appeared to receive write-in votes in the midterm elections
When he threw a little kid in the penalty box
And last but not least, when he dressed up as Gritty Claus
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out