One child has been killed and 40 others, mostly children, were injured after a bus crashed and overturned in Arkansas early Monday morning.
The charter bus was carrying a Memphis youth football team. The team had played in a championship in Dallas over the weekend, according to Arkansas state police, and were traveling from Texas back to Tennessee when the crash happened.
Police said the crash, on Interstate 30, was reported at around 2.40 a.m. Injured children had been taken to hospitals in Little Rock and Benton, they added.
The driver is alive and being questioned by state troopers.
Authorities did not immediately say which schools the children attended. However, local news station WMC reported that the Orange Mound Youth Association was involved. Children aged 7-12 were on the bus, it reported, along with four coaches.
Arkansas state police said they would distribute further information later Monday morning.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time