Drake revealed in a interview on LeBron James’ The Shop that he once wanted to marry Rihanna and have a “perfect” family with her.
The “In My Feelings” rapper has a long history with the bad gal, with whom he’s had many musical collaborations and once famously professed his love for on stage at the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards while presenting her with the Video Vanguard Award.
“As life takes shape and teaches you your own lessons, I end up in this situation where I don’t have the fairy tale, like, ‘Oh, Drake started a family with Rihanna and this is like so perfect,’” he said. “It looks so good on paper. By the way, I wanted that too at one time.”
Drake also discussed his feelings about his son, Adonis.
“I do want to be able to explain to my son what happened,” he said. “But I don’t have any desire for him to like not love his mother or I don’t want like, I don’t ever want the world to be angry at his mother. We have found ourselves in a situation and we are both equally responsible and now, like, I’m just really excited to be a great father.”
Watch the clip below.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now