Cardi B went all out for her performance of “I Like It” at the 2018 American Music Awards on Tuesday night, so it was no surprise that the audience was stunned by the on-stage show. One gobsmacked audience member’s over-the-top reaction was so pitch perfect that it instantly became a meme.
The man in question was former Saturday Night Live star Taran Killam who was on-hand with his wife, How I Met Your Mother actress Cobie Smulders, to present an award later in the evening. Before he could take the stage, though, he nearly stole the spotlight when his jaw literally dropped during the performance by Cardi B, J Balvin, and Bad Bunny, who was wheeled out in a shopping cart with a fake third-eye plastered on his forehead.
For the song, the stage at the Microsoft Theater was transformed into a madcap Mardi Gras celebration, packed with bright lights, Carnivale colors, bicycle riders, drummers, and so much more. When Cardi B showed off her flexibility by casually pulling her leg up to her head, Killam apparently couldn’t contain his amazement. The moment the camera settled on his stunned face, the at-home audience (and the GIF makers at Giphy) jumped into action turning his bewilderment into a very useful meme to express their own awe at the on-stage antics.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?