Philadelphia Flyers fans were in for a bit of a shock today: the Pennsylvania hockey team unveiled their new official mascot to the public. His name is Gritty. He looks like a rejected Muppet creation, a Where the Wild Things Are misfit or a stuffed animal gone seriously, terrifyingly rogue. He’s a bright orange, furry creature of bizarre design.
But don’t take our word for it. The Flyers website provides their own background to the character:
They also note that he is “feisty” and a “fierce competitor, known for his agility given his size.” Hopefully the extremely googly eyes on this mascot’s suit don’t get in the way of that aforementioned “agility.”
As anyone might have predicted, fans and casual onlookers alike can’t quite get over this strange new addition to the world of mascots. If the Flyers public relations team was going for instant meme status for their new guy, well, that’s exactly what they got.
Of course, Gritty may be the topic du jour in the world of mascots this week, but he will always have fierce competition.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization