Philadelphia Flyers fans were in for a bit of a shock today: the Pennsylvania hockey team unveiled their new official mascot to the public. His name is Gritty. He looks like a rejected Muppet creation, a Where the Wild Things Are misfit or a stuffed animal gone seriously, terrifyingly rogue. He’s a bright orange, furry creature of bizarre design.
But don’t take our word for it. The Flyers website provides their own background to the character:
They also note that he is “feisty” and a “fierce competitor, known for his agility given his size.” Hopefully the extremely googly eyes on this mascot’s suit don’t get in the way of that aforementioned “agility.”
As anyone might have predicted, fans and casual onlookers alike can’t quite get over this strange new addition to the world of mascots. If the Flyers public relations team was going for instant meme status for their new guy, well, that’s exactly what they got.
Of course, Gritty may be the topic du jour in the world of mascots this week, but he will always have fierce competition.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time