Before the L.A. Galaxy faced off against the Seattle Sounders, Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja, a 7-year-old singer, stepped onto the grass at the StubHub Center in Los Angeles. She proceeded to belt out “The Star-Spangled Banner” in front of a packed crowd of Major League Soccer fans, like it was the easiest thing in the world.
The performance was so remarkable that not only did the L.A. Galaxy describe it as “one of the best national anthem performances in StubHub Center[‘s] history,” but she managed to get soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimović to cheer for her.
According to the MLS website, the small but mighty singer had to fight for her chance to sing the anthem, entering the soccer team’s #GalaxySocial Day Instagram Anthem contest where she resoundingly beat “many other applicants for the right to sing the anthem.” Her victory must have inspired the team, the Galaxy beat the Sounders 3 to 0 in the match.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Why It’s OK to Say No to That Party You’re Dreading
- COP28 Is a Business Bonanza. Should It Be?
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- Column: When India Was a Human Rights Leader
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time