If you were wondering why George R. R. Martin was rocking a turtle pin on the Emmys red carpet, the Game of Thrones author has already supplied your answer.
In a June 2012 interview with the Financial Times, Martin explained that the high mortality rate of his beloved A Song of Ice and Fire series was inspired by the pet turtles he had growing up.
Martin touched on the turtle topic again when a fan asked him why he wears a hat with the shelled reptile on it at Comic-Con 2012.
See Martin’s Emmys pin below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction