In a June 2012 interview with the Financial Times, Martin explained that the high mortality rate of his beloved A Song of Ice and Fire series was inspired by the pet turtles he had growing up.
Martin touched on the turtle topic again when a fan asked him why he wears a hat with the shelled reptile on it at Comic-Con 2012.
See Martin’s Emmys pin below.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time