Chaka Khan’s performance of “I’m Going Up Yonder” at Aretha Franklin’s funeral in Detroit on Friday looked to include a bit of assistance from her fan.
The singer arrived onstage with a large handheld fan that appeared to hold the lyrics taped to the back, and glanced down at the fan in some moments while performing.
Sometimes, a person just needs notes to jog their memory. Those following Franklin’s funeral, which streamed online all day, related to Chaka Khan’s plight.
Franklin’s funeral included performances and tributes from several people who arrived in Detroit to send the Queen of Soul off in style, including former president Bill Clinton, Rev. Al Sharpton, Jennifer Hudson and Ariana Grande.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time