Invites were sent out confirming the important event’s date as Wednesday, September 12, but Apple and technology enthusiasts seemed to be much more interested in the design of the invite, which featured a glowing rose gold circle with various rings set on a stark black background. This design was flanked by the laconic but apropos caption, “Gather round. Please join us for an Apple special event at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino.”
The succinct invite elicited all of the feelings from the Internet, who wasted no time in making the cryptic design and phrasing into the web’s latest source of amusement. Memes soon emerged on Twitter that riffed on the mysterious circle and caption, with plenty of new age, futuristic and tech jokes abounding.
Twitter user Darth compared the mysterious circle to a black hole.
While this Twitter user had a creepy Stranger Things take on it.
While others found alternate, pragmatic uses for the circle on the invite.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears