The “Push Artist of the Year” is a new category that MTV debuted this year to highlight artists like Kiyoko. Other nominees include Noah Cyrus, Lil Xan, Chloe x Halle and Tee Grizzley.
Upon winning, the California native couldn’t contain her excitement, sharing all of her exuberant feelings with a heartfelt declaration.
“This validates any queer woman of color that you can follow your dreams.”
It appears Kiyoko was manifesting her win earlier as well, if her tweet ahead of the show indicates anything.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Cady Lang at firstname.lastname@example.org