Pop newcomer Hayley Kiyoko took home her first Moon person trophy after winning “Push Artist of the Year” at the 2018 MTV Video Music Awards on Monday night at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall.
The “Push Artist of the Year” is a new category that MTV debuted this year to highlight artists like Kiyoko. Other nominees include Noah Cyrus, Lil Xan, Chloe x Halle and Tee Grizzley.
Upon winning, the California native couldn’t contain her excitement, sharing all of her exuberant feelings with a heartfelt declaration.
“This validates any queer woman of color that you can follow your dreams.”
It appears Kiyoko was manifesting her win earlier as well, if her tweet ahead of the show indicates anything.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief