With Claire Foy’s two-season run as Queen Elizabeth II on The Crown at an end, Olivia Colman is set to ascend the throne on the Netflix series. And now, fans have their first look at the BAFTA winner as Her Royal Majesty.
A photo released by Netflix on Monday shows Colman—who is known for her roles in Broadchurch and The Night Manager—taking a cup of tea while decked out in the Queen’s signature pearls.
Colman will play Queen Elizabeth in seasons three and four of The Crown, which are set to follow the Queen from her late 40s to early 60s. She will star alongside Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip, Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret and Ben Daniels as Antony Armstrong-Jones.
“I’m so thrilled to be part of The Crown. I was utterly gripped watching it,” Coleman told the BBC shortly after her role was announced. “I think Claire Foy is an absolute genius – she’s an incredibly hard act to follow. I’m basically going to re-watch every episode and copy her.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating