With a little over 10 minutes to go in extra time of Wednesday’s match, Croatia’s Mario Mandzukic fired a shot into the back of the net to give his team a 2-1 lead over England. The English squad was unable to come up with an equalizer in the remaining time, officially ending their chances of reaching their first World Cup final since 1966.
But as if the loss itself wasn’t crushing enough, it was then that the “They’re going home” memes began to appear. Those rooting against England were all too quick to turn their fans’ cheer of “It’s coming home”—which has risen in popularity throughout the 2018 World Cup—into a taunt.
See some of the “They’re going home” memes below.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer