The chant has its origins in The Lightning Seeds’ 1996 single “Three Lions,” a track that was released to commemorate England hosting the 1996 European Football Championship. But while the song originally poked fun at England’s numerous soccer disappointments, its chorus is now a rallying cry for all those hoping to see the English squad come out on top on Sunday.
As the phrase has risen in popularity throughout the World Cup, fans from around the globe have begun hopping on the “It’s coming home” bandwagon. Even Justin Timberlake tried the cheer out during his Monday concert at London’s O2 Arena.
And because it’s 2018, the chant has also been turned into a meme, with Twitter users superimposing “Three Lions” over famous movie and TV scenes.
See some of the best creations below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time