After getting hugs from his costars, including Michael B. Jordan, Boseman took the stage and received his golden popcorn statue from Olivia Munn and Zazie Beetz, who were presenting the award.
“It’s even greater to acknowledge the heroes that we have in real life,” Boseman told the audience.
“He fought off a gunman in Antioch, Tennessee, at a Waffle House. He saved lives … a real life hero,” he said of Shaw Jr., who joined the actor to accept the award on stage. “This is going to live at your house.”
Shaw, 29, wrestled the gunman’s weapon away when he stopped to reload that Sunday morning, after which the shooter fled, according to authorities and Shaw’s recounting of events as well as news reports.
Four people were killed in the mass shooting: Akilah DaSilva, DeEbony Groves, Joe Perez and Taurean Sanderlin. Multiple others were injured, including Shaw, who was grazed by a bullet and burned while grabbing the hot rifle of the gun.
In the aftermath of the Waffle House attack, Shaw’s quick actions were hailed by many around the country, though he has sounded a humbler note about what he did, initially saying he acted out of self-preservation.
“I don’t want people to think that I was the Terminator or Superman or anybody like that,” he told reporters.
Shaw Jr. has since raised more than $200,000 to support the families of the victims, according to multiple reports.
He created a GoFundMe on April 22, the same day as the Waffle House shooting.
“Please take the time to donate as all of the proceeds will be given to the families,” Shaw wrote with the fundraiser. “Thank you again for your generosity and blessings!”
In little more than a week, Shaw has raised about $209,000 as of this writing — many times his original $15,000 goal.
The 2018 MTV Movie & TV Awards, hosted by Tiffany Haddish, are airing on MTV.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out