Though the match was supposed to end at 15 points, they agreed to call it quits early during the tiring two-hour one-on-one game at Texas Southern University. Cruz came out on top at 11-9 in the match described by the Houston Chronicle as “a slow-motion car-crash of half-court basketball.”
“We apologize to the game of basketball,” Kimmel said on behalf of both players.
The match was inspired by a comment Kimmel made during one of his late night monologues, in which he joked that Cruz looked “like a blobfish.” Cruz followed by challenging Kimmel to a one-on-one match.
The beneficiaries of the face-off were Houston-based charities Texas Children’s Hospital and Generation One.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption