Though the match was supposed to end at 15 points, they agreed to call it quits early during the tiring two-hour one-on-one game at Texas Southern University. Cruz came out on top at 11-9 in the match described by the Houston Chronicle as “a slow-motion car-crash of half-court basketball.”
“We apologize to the game of basketball,” Kimmel said on behalf of both players.
The match was inspired by a comment Kimmel made during one of his late night monologues, in which he joked that Cruz looked “like a blobfish.” Cruz followed by challenging Kimmel to a one-on-one match.
The beneficiaries of the face-off were Houston-based charities Texas Children’s Hospital and Generation One.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms