Though the match was supposed to end at 15 points, they agreed to call it quits early during the tiring two-hour one-on-one game at Texas Southern University. Cruz came out on top at 11-9 in the match described by the Houston Chronicle as “a slow-motion car-crash of half-court basketball.”
“We apologize to the game of basketball,” Kimmel said on behalf of both players.
The match was inspired by a comment Kimmel made during one of his late night monologues, in which he joked that Cruz looked “like a blobfish.” Cruz followed by challenging Kimmel to a one-on-one match.
The beneficiaries of the face-off were Houston-based charities Texas Children’s Hospital and Generation One.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org