Maryland gubernatorial candidate Rich Madaleno released a campaign ad this week portaying the Democrat as a progressive antidote to President Donald Trump, culminating with a same-six kiss and the refrain, “take that, Trump.”
Madaleno, a Democratic state senator, promises “to deliver progressive results and to stand up to Donald Trump” in the 30-second ad, which began running Thursday, according to USA Today.
The ad lists some of Madaleno’s accomplishments that “have already infuriated” the president before touting “the number one way I piss off Donald Trump and the Republicans.”
“Take that, Trump,” Madaleno says after kissing Mark Hodge, his husband of 16 years.
The ad is running in Maryland ahead of the state’s June 26 primary, and on Fox and Friends in the Washington, D.C. area.
“The refrain is ‘take that Trump’ — so we wanted to make sure the president had an opportunity to see this ad, and went with the network he tunes into,” said Madaleno campaign manager Keith Presley, according to USA Today.
Madaleno is one of seven candidates running to unseat incumbent Republican governor Larry Hogan, who is not mentioned in the ad.
As a state lawmaker, Madaleno backed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in the state in 2012. His gubernatorial campaign platform also includes a measure banning sexual conversion therapy among other progressive policies.
“June is LGBT Pride Month and I couldn’t think of a better time to release this ad,” Madaleno said in a statement. “Love truly does trump hate.”
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- The Threat to Louisiana's Drinking Water
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time