A never-before-released Prince album is officially on the way. On Thursday—what would have been the Purple One’s 60th birthday—Prince’s estate, along with Warner Bros. Records, announced a forthcoming live album taken from a cassette Prince recorded during a rehearsal at his Chanhassen, Minnesota, home studio in 1983.
Dubbed Piano & A Microphone: 1983, the record includes early versions of Prince greats such as “Purple Rain,” “Strange Relationship” and “17 Days” as well as a cover of Joni Mitchell’s heart-wrenching “A Case of You.”
The full Piano & A Microphone: 1983 album won’t be released until Sept. 21. But for now, Prince fans can content themselves with listening to his bluesy interpretation of the spiritual “Mary, Don’t You Weep”—as well as his entire back catalog—on repeat.
See the full tracklist below.
- 17 Days
- Purple Rain
- A Case Of You
- Mary Don’t You Weep
- Strange Relationship
- International Lover
- Cold Coffee & Cocaine
- Why The Butterflies
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving