A never-before-released Prince album is officially on the way. On Thursday—what would have been the Purple One’s 60th birthday—Prince’s estate, along with Warner Bros. Records, announced a forthcoming live album taken from a cassette Prince recorded during a rehearsal at his Chanhassen, Minnesota, home studio in 1983.
Dubbed Piano & A Microphone: 1983, the record includes early versions of Prince greats such as “Purple Rain,” “Strange Relationship” and “17 Days” as well as a cover of Joni Mitchell’s heart-wrenching “A Case of You.”
The full Piano & A Microphone: 1983 album won’t be released until Sept. 21. But for now, Prince fans can content themselves with listening to his bluesy interpretation of the spiritual “Mary, Don’t You Weep”—as well as his entire back catalog—on repeat.
See the full tracklist below.
- 17 Days
- Purple Rain
- A Case Of You
- Mary Don’t You Weep
- Strange Relationship
- International Lover
- Cold Coffee & Cocaine
- Why The Butterflies
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out