A Pennsylvania man who was paralyzed from the neck down after relatives tipped over the Porta Potty he was using has won a $5 million settlement in a lawsuit over the prank gone wrong.
Douglas Adams III and his wife sued the portable toilet manufacturer, its installer, as well as his wife’s cousins—Gerald Grater and Barry Weller—who tipped over the portable toilet during a camping and fishing trip, the Legal Intelligencer reports. Grater and Weller backed their truck against the Porta Potty door in an attempt to lock Adams inside. This caused the toilet to tip, resulting in injuries that rendered Adams quadriplegic.
The lawsuit faulted Poly-San, the manufacturer, with not providing spikes to secure the unit in the ground, and the installer for putting the portable toilet on a 14 degree angle on the side of a hill, propping it up with wood to keep it level.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time