After striking a pose for the cameras on the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival Monday, Kristen Stewart made a sudden rebellious move: The actress ditched her black Christian Louboutin pumps and climbed the staircase barefoot.
Stewart, who was attending the premiere of BlackKkKlansman, has been a vocal critic of the red carpet’s heels-only policy for women.
“Things have to change immediately,” Stewart said at a roundtable discussion last year, according to Marie Claire. “It’s just like you simply cannot ask me to do something that you are not asking him [to do]. I get the black-tie thing but you should be able to do either version—flats or heels.”
Many on Twitter applauded Stewart’s act of rebellion.
Others were less than impressed, but the actress certainly made a stir.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.