Peter Mayhew will play Chewbacca in Episode VII, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The 69-year-old actor is set to return to his role as the iconic Wookie in the Star Wars sequel, which will hit theaters in December 2015.
Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn announced on April 2 that filming for the project had already begun, although neither Disney nor Lucasfilm has disclosed many details on the production other than saying that many of the cast members have already been selected.
Mayhew, who played Chewbacca starting in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope in 1977, is just one of the original cast members who will reportedly be returning in the J.J. Abrams film. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will also reportedly return. Episode VII will reportedly be set 30 years after the 1983 film Return of the Jedi.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.