Welcome to the Breakdown, where each week, Neha Joy brings the chyron to the water cooler with quick dives into the essential corners of the 24-hour news cycle. Featuring conversations with writers and editors from TIME, Fortune, Money and Sports Illustrated, here is everything you need to know to stay on top of the national conversation.
Here’s what’s happening on the Breakdown this week: TIME highlights what you should know about your data when taking a home DNA or ancestry test. Money editor Ian Salisbury explains how Bitcoin is polarizing finance giants like Goldman Sachs and Warren Buffett. Fortune shows how the acquisition of Lucasfilm by Disney has made the cinema titan an unstoppable force. Plus, how much do NFL quarterbacks make? Sports Illustrated discusses the latest record-breaking contracts in football.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving