In the wake of Avengers: Infinity War achieving the highest domestic debut of all time over the weekend, the studio behind the previous record holder has offered their congratulations.
The 10-year culmination of Marvel’s cinematic universe roared to a $258.2 million opening at the box office, surpassing Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ 2015 record of $248 million and earning a shoutout from Lucasfilm on Twitter.
“From a galaxy far, far away… to Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” read the message from Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy and her team. “CONGRATULATIONS on the biggest opening weekend in history!”
In a signature galaxy far, far away passing of the torch, the note also featured a picture of what appeared to be Rey’s hand holding out a lightsaber to Iron Man.
Avengers: Infinity War made a killing on an international scale as well, earning an estimated $640.9 million worldwide to top The Fate of the Furious‘ global opening record of $542 million.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases