“This is about the countless girls, women, boys, men, and elders all over Kenya and Africa who dare today are working to bring female genital mutilation and child marriage to an end,” said TIME 100 honoree and Kenyan women’s rights activist Nice Nailantei Leng’ete during the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday night.
Read Nice Nailantei Leng’ete’s full remarks below:
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the name of the group with which Nice Nailantei Leng’ete works. It is Amref Health Africa, not Amref South Africa.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time