“This is about the countless girls, women, boys, men, and elders all over Kenya and Africa who dare today are working to bring female genital mutilation and child marriage to an end,” said TIME 100 honoree and Kenyan women’s rights activist Nice Nailantei Leng’ete during the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday night.
Read Nice Nailantei Leng’ete’s full remarks below:
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the name of the group with which Nice Nailantei Leng’ete works. It is Amref Health Africa, not Amref South Africa.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time