“This is about the countless girls, women, boys, men, and elders all over Kenya and Africa who dare today are working to bring female genital mutilation and child marriage to an end,” said TIME 100 honoree and Kenyan women’s rights activist Nice Nailantei Leng’ete during the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday night.
Read Nice Nailantei Leng’ete’s full remarks below:
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the name of the group with which Nice Nailantei Leng’ete works. It is Amref Health Africa, not Amref South Africa.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space