“This is about the countless girls, women, boys, men, and elders all over Kenya and Africa who dare today are working to bring female genital mutilation and child marriage to an end,” said TIME 100 honoree and Kenyan women’s rights activist Nice Nailantei Leng’ete during the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday night.
Read Nice Nailantei Leng’ete’s full remarks below:
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the name of the group with which Nice Nailantei Leng’ete works. It is Amref Health Africa, not Amref South Africa.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving