A human-like robot showed up at a pub on earth to freak some people out — and it worked.
The second season of Westworld, HBO’s epic sci-fi show about a theme park full of artificially intelligent “hosts” premieres Sunday, April 22. To get people pumped about the robot revolution, NOW TV built humans a new friend Fred, the “ultra-realistic” robot and planted him in a London pub where things proceeded to get strange. Like most Westworld “hosts,” Fred is a bit glitchy, and a generally ominous guy.
Unlike on the show, none of the pub patrons endeavored to use him for target practice or more indulgent pursuits. But it turns out Fred is a highly engaging conversation partner.
Watch below as people encounter the robot in this fun social experiment.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating