Girls Trip standout Tiffany Haddish used her first big paycheck to open up a checking account and treat herself to a box of Snickers. Fashion designer Christian Siriano opted to splurge on “fabulous furniture that I should not have bought … and maybe a really chic bag.”
This year’s TIME 100 Most Influential People honorees have found financial success by fronting blockbusters, winning Grand Slam titles and painting presidential portraits — but they still remember the thrill of receiving their first big paychecks.
“Every time I made money, it was big to me,” Jennifer Lopez said. “I grew up in the Bronx and had holes in my shoes.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science