It’s a well-established fact that Amal Clooney is a universally recognized badass thanks to her work as an international human-rights barrister, something that was further confirmed in a May 2018 cover profile of her in Vogue.
In the profile, readers learn that her husband, actor George Clooney, thinks Amal and her career are far superior to his own work in Hollywood and as a humanitarian. Readers also learn that the twins she and George welcomed a year ago said “Mama” as their first word.
However, it’s Amal’s dedication to social causes that might be the most engrossing part of the profile. In the piece, she sounds off on the #MeToo movement and goes into detail about the shortcomings of the gun control movement in the U.S., something she and George have been vocal about — the couple donated half a million dollars to the recent March for Our Lives in Washington D.C. and also attended the student-led march.
“I’ve seen lots of commentary where people have tried to say, ‘This isn’t about having too many guns or allowing semiautomatic and automatic weapons to be purchased too easily—surely this is about mental health, or about violence and movies,’ ” she said. “The fact is, there are violent movies all over the world, and there are mental-health issues in other countries. But this doesn’t happen in other developed countries. The difference is guns, and how widely and easily available they are.”
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer