A man who used to play McGruff the Crime Dog didn’t “Take a bite out of crime,” crime took a bite out of him.
John R. Morales was arrested in 2011 in Galveston, TX after a drug-sniffing dog (narc!) detected pot when he was pulled over for speeding. Police then found diagrams of two indoor pot-growing operations and a plethora of marijuana seeds.
When police raided his house, they seized 1,000 marijuana plants and 9,000 rounds of ammunition for an assortment of 27 weapons — including a grenade launcher, because McGruff must have lots of enemies.
After three years, Morales, 41, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 16 years in jail Monday.
Even though Morales said he was nonviolent, U.S. District Judge Vanessa Gilmore said, “Everything I read about you makes you seem like a scary person.”
We leave Morales with this clip of McGruff for further reflection. (Unfortunately we couldn’t find any videos with appropriate grenade launcher messaging).
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears