A man who used to play McGruff the Crime Dog didn’t “Take a bite out of crime,” crime took a bite out of him.
John R. Morales was arrested in 2011 in Galveston, TX after a drug-sniffing dog (narc!) detected pot when he was pulled over for speeding. Police then found diagrams of two indoor pot-growing operations and a plethora of marijuana seeds.
When police raided his house, they seized 1,000 marijuana plants and 9,000 rounds of ammunition for an assortment of 27 weapons — including a grenade launcher, because McGruff must have lots of enemies.
After three years, Morales, 41, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 16 years in jail Monday.
Even though Morales said he was nonviolent, U.S. District Judge Vanessa Gilmore said, “Everything I read about you makes you seem like a scary person.”
We leave Morales with this clip of McGruff for further reflection. (Unfortunately we couldn’t find any videos with appropriate grenade launcher messaging).
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023