A man who used to play McGruff the Crime Dog didn’t “Take a bite out of crime,” crime took a bite out of him.
John R. Morales was arrested in 2011 in Galveston, TX after a drug-sniffing dog (narc!) detected pot when he was pulled over for speeding. Police then found diagrams of two indoor pot-growing operations and a plethora of marijuana seeds.
When police raided his house, they seized 1,000 marijuana plants and 9,000 rounds of ammunition for an assortment of 27 weapons — including a grenade launcher, because McGruff must have lots of enemies.
After three years, Morales, 41, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 16 years in jail Monday.
Even though Morales said he was nonviolent, U.S. District Judge Vanessa Gilmore said, “Everything I read about you makes you seem like a scary person.”
We leave Morales with this clip of McGruff for further reflection. (Unfortunately we couldn’t find any videos with appropriate grenade launcher messaging).
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space