In the Safari Live video, the mongoose approaches the hornbill only to turn around and faint, appearing to fake its death while lying on its back. This goes on hilariously multiple times, although the hornbill seems nonplussed by the mongoose’s efforts.
While many animals play dead as a strategy for capturing their prey, National Geographic reports that this is more of a friendly overture on the part of the mongoose and that many dwarf mongooses roll on their backs while they play with other mongooses, although it’s far less common for them to interact with birds like that.
Watch the full clip of the mongoose and the hornbill below.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow