A video shared on social media showed the students protesting in Howard’s administration building while singing Rihanna’s hit song, an apropos music choice when you consider that the school has been accused of scamming students over misappropriated grant money, according to The Washington Post. The video, which went viral on Twitter, earned a co-sign from the Bad Gal herself who showed her solidarity by retweeting the post along with the flexing muscle and praise hands emojis.
The protest follows the publication of a now-suspended Medium post (cached here) by an anonymous blogger who alleged that university officials misused funds.
After the publication of the post, Howard University President Wayne Frederick confirmed in a statement on the school’s website that six university employees were fired as a result of misappropriated financial aid funds.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate