While earlier this week President Donald Trump openly admitted that he had lied about the country’s trade relationship with Canada to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Late Night host Seth Meyers found the one element of truth in what Trump said.
The President, who revealed during a fundraiser in St. Louis on Wednesday that he contradicted Trudeau without knowing the facts, gave this as his rationale for lying to Trudeau.
“I had no idea,” he said. “I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid.”
Trump got loose with the facts when he told Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the U.S. has a trade deficit with Canada, then admitted that he did not know if that was true, according to audio obtained by TIME.
Although Trump later contradicted this with a tweet, Meyers did find a kernel of truth.
“In fairness, ‘I lie because I’m stupid’ is the truest thing Trump has ever said,” Meyers said jokingly.
Watch the full clip above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Cady Lang at firstname.lastname@example.org