By Will Oremus in Slate
2. By reverse-engineering energy-burning brown fat, researchers might be on the trail of drugs to treat obesity.
By the Salk Institute for Biological Studies
3. Smart swarming robots could be our best defense against new weapons from Russia and China.
By August Cole and Amir Husain in Defense One
4. To fight declining bee (and butterfly) populations, get lazy with your lawn mowing.
By Susannah Lerman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
5. How fighting corruption can help end conflict across Africa.
By George Clooney and John Prendergast in Foreign Affairs
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases