After a photo of Evoni Williams helping an elderly customer cut up his food at the Texas restaurant went viral, the 18-year-old server was rewarded for her act of kindness with a significant bump to her college fund as well as her own day in the city of La Marque.
“He was like, ‘My hands are not functioning too well,” Williams told KHOU 11. “He needed me to cut his food. And I did.”
The picture was taken by Laura Wolf, another patron sitting nearby, and then posted on Facebook. “I don’t know her name but I heard this elderly man tell her his hands don’t work too good,” Wolf captioned the shot. “He was also on oxygen and struggling to breathe. Without hesitation, she took his plate and began cutting up his ham. This may seem small but to him, I’m sure it was huge.”
Texas Southern has also assigned a counselor to Williams to help her get the enrollment process started.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart